Nothing beats the feeling of soft new carpet under your feet laid across the floors of your home. Whether you moved into a new place or are just indulging in a creative hobby — you might be trying to buy a new carpet and need to get rid of the old one. Removing old carpet may not be as straightforward as getting rid of any other furniture item because the materials are tough to disintegrate in landfills. Due to such complications, safe methods of old carpet removal must be followed. Hence, allow us to introduce an ultimate carpet disposal guide made for such occasions!
Irrespective of whether you want to outsource your carpet disposal activities to somebody else or not, some of the ways by which you can remove carpet are:
- Booking carpet fitters,
- Inquiring with the retailer that sells you the new carpet if they can rip out your old carpet for a minimal fee,
- DIY project by making use of basic tools
- Ordering a professional bulk waste or garbage collection company to perform end-to-end disposal service. Since, at times, there is a chance of disposing of additional unwanted items from your place, this option would be a good one-time investment.
WHAT TO DO WITH OLD CARPETS?
DO CARPET FITTERS TAKE UP AN OLD CARPET?
Once you have picked new flooring for your home, office, or any other building, the next action item is to lay a good carpet and there are professionals who are responsible for these kinds of activities. Carpet fitters have multiple carpet-related activities as part of their job description, so you will be in safe hands. Giving a final smooth finish to the overall interior look can happen if the carpet fitting is done effectively and possibly by the experts.
Usually, retailers provide carpet fitting service, or you could source professional carpet fitters. Since boring clean up tasks are involved during the carpeting process, do ensure a final budget for tidying is set even before the work begins.
DIY – HOW TO REMOVE A CARPET 101
In case you want to try your hand at removing the carpet by yourself (either from the floor or removing carpet from stairs), you will need to go hardware shopping.
- Some of the carpet removal tools that you require are Knife, Face mask, Duct tape, Crowbar, Pliers, Gloves
- Head to a local hardware store or dig into your toolbox and gather the right tools needed to remove the carpet by yourself
- Once you’ve got the tools, try to pull one corner of the carpet by using pliers. If the carpet is fixed too hard and your pulling efforts don’t work, then use a knife to cut a small square out of the corner of the carpet
- Then gradually pull up the carpet. As you pull up the carpet, fold it into strip sections as you go
- Afterward, just roll up the carpet in its sections and duct tape it together
- Cutting and rolling the carpet into sections will make carrying the carpet out of the building easier
- Once the carpet is removed successfully, the underlay carpet padding can be removed. Try to work out how it is fixed to the floor. If the underlay is simply stapled, just pull it out.
- In case the underlay is glued to the floor, try using a scraper tool and scrape it out. Be ready for the mess!
CAN YOU TAKE THE CARPET TO THE TIP OR COUNCIL RECYCLING CENTRE?
One of the pocket-friendly options to dispose of carpet is opting for council dumps. Most of these tips are free to use as well, if you’ve got a vehicle to do the necessary number of trips – this should likely work in your favor. Do a quick online search and you will get results for a few carpet council tips that accept junk. Please note this option is only available for house-hold materials, not for commercial or business-related dumping.
One of the most conventional methods of discarding old items. You can always hire a skip outside your house and finish dumping all the necessary trash disposal in one single shot.
Donate to a charity, or family and friends if they need it.
IS CARPET RECYCLABLE?
The UK generates 400,000 tonnes of waste carpet every year. All this waste gets deposited in landfills and doesn’t do good to our environment.
Since most of the carpets are made from petroleum-based synthetic fibers, depositing the carpets directly into the environment is going to prove extremely dangerous. The most common components of carpets are nylon and plastics which are not exactly environmentally friendly. Not to mention the dyes and glue used. There are up and coming companies that are making sustainable carpets with recycled materials. Disposing of commercially produced products need to be done by keeping environmental responsibility in mind.
There are waste clearance organizations that exclusively deal with landfill diversions by recycling your carpets in a safe manner.
WHY TOP WASTE IS YOUR BEST CHOICE FOR RUBBISH REMOVALS LONDON
We have removed thousands of items from all over London. Getting rid of your carpets or other unwanted items is what we do. There are many other services like ours, but we offer some important benefits to you.
- We are licensed as a waste disposal company. This means we have the correct training, certifications, and permissions to remove your unwanted belongings and dispose of them correctly. Without these assurances, you could give your things to a cowboy who will tip them somewhere illegally. If the government traces it back to you, then they will give you a fly-tipping fine.
- Top Waste is also completely insured. When we turn up to collect items from your property, we will not damage your home or business. If any accidents occur, we have the insurance to sort out any problems quickly and painlessly.
- Top Waste is committed to helping keep the planet healthy. Part of our licensing comes from the Environment Agency because we strive to use green ways of getting rid of waste. Our landfill diversion rate is above 95%.
Top Waste has been a family-run business for over ten years. We focus on delivering high-quality services to London residents. We believe our capital city should be the best place to live in the entire world!
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I BOOK A COLLECTION?
One of our two-man teams will arrive to take away the designated objects. Every team has identification so you can quickly see who has arrived to help you. Because there will be two people, you shouldn’t expect to offer any help. We have the skills, training, equipment, and strength to move whatever you want.
We will arrive on time and be gone with as little hassle as possible. Flexible time slots are available for customers to fit around their work and family schedules. We can even organize collections for times when you will be away from home. We work for our customers and our environment.